Friday, November 4, 2011

Into the Wild

I just finished reading Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild two nights ago.  It is an amazing story, but has caused me several sleepless nights, as a mother and a former rebellious teenager.


Jon Krakauer retraces the footsteps of "A young man from a well-to-do family, who in April 1992, hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley.  His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless.  He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the money in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself.  Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter..."

Throughout the story, you learn the background of Chris' life and the details of his travels as Alex.  The author leaves to the opinion of the reader whether Chris was crazy and suicidal or just a young man seeking something larger from the world, although his personal experiences lead the tone of the book toward the latter.

I have to agree.  I was once a teenager looking for something bigger in the world.  Like Chris, my parents would have/will do anything for me, but staying in the same, sheltered community was too much for me.  I had to go out on my own, make my own mistakes and find my own path.  Granted, I did not hitchhike through much of the US, cut off my parents completely, lie about my identity and decide to go on an 'Alaskan Adventure', ill-prepared and all alone.  But I understand the need for the distance.

What scares me about this story are the risks that I have taken, and how they could have left me in the same situation as Chris. Again, I did not hitchhike to Alaska, but I have made some bad decisions that could have left me hurt or dead.  I think the difference is, that I kept in touch with my family and friends, and someone knew where I was, where to find me and how to contact me.  I did not cut myself off from the world.  I think what scares me the most is thinking about this person suffering all alone.

Please read this book.  You will gain a greater appreciation for warmth, food and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment